Monday, April 10, 2006

Let it slide...breaking the rules is ok

Since starting to learn Finnish I've had countless conversations with people about grammar, the rules and the ins and outs of various cases, tenses, punctuation, everything you can think of really. In my assignments, proofing and editing, clarity is always the deciding factor - sticking rigidly to the rules is further down the list of priorities. I'm dealing a lot with non-native writers of English who if anything are more clued up on many points of grammar than I am, having been taught English within a strict, structured format, and certainly taught more recently than I have been!

Without referring back to some of my well-thumbed reference manuals on grammar and English usage, there's plenty I will forget. Do I lose sleep over this? No. If my client ends up with a clear, flowing, readable document and the intended audience will understand it, and perform whatever action is required of them, then I figure the rules can be broken sometimes.

No comments: