Tuesday, April 11, 2006

When does blogging for pleasure become blogging for business?

Writing is what I do, so I figure if I'm doing this then why feel guilty about taking time out from 'real' work to write here. If this goes in the direction I want it to, then it will (hopefully) focus on issues relating to my work and anything I think might interest others. I like to think (am I deluded?) that every time I write I'm getting in some practice, reawakening those tired brain cells and the creative centre of my brain that sometimes goes to sleep during the day.

Spend time crafting and tweaking other people's words like I do and you can often feel like just a cog in a really big set of wheels; write your own words and put them out there, even on an obscure blog, and you feel different somehow. Proof reading and editing to a nice, polished final product for somebody IS satisfying; an original piece, even just an opinion, makes me feel like I've finally got round to saying something outside the constraints of someone else's house style.

Do journalists have all the fun?

No comments: