Monday, April 10, 2006

With a little help from...

...anyone I can get my hands on frankly. Being a one man business means being everybody's friend. I've not turned a proof reading job down yet despite what the subject matter or medium may be. Initially this had me thinking 'what am I doing?' but now I'm more than a year down the line I'm glad I have taken on all those jobs: now I can boast working with all kinds of material that I would have never taken on if I had stuck to my original plan.

I came here with the idea of only working on English text for Web sites, being a Web writing 'Santa's little helper'. If I'd have stuck to that plan I would be writing out my 'hungry, please help' sign on a piece of (recycled, this is Finland you know) cardboard by now. Anyways, I can happily file away those jobs working on software help files, university thesis material, online betting scenario testing manuals (!) and push on.

I also discovered recently that I'm not alone: fellow Everton fan and one-man businessman Aaron has recently shipped out to Scandinavia to do something similar, in Copenhagen. His blog, Somethingrotten, is linked over on the right in my links list. I'm hoping now we're in touch we can help each other out, even if its just releasing some frustration at the end of the week and talking about the football. It does make you feel less alone when you find someone else doing almost exactly what you're doing. Being an expat isn't all moaning about missing beans and marmite you know.

No comments: